Sunday 10 June 2007

Windows sketchbook

The second assessed piece I have to do for my City & Guilds Creative Sketchbooks class is a free-standing constructed book which I'm doing on the theme of windows. I am making quite good progress now, I think I've got most of the artwork for individual pages done, and soon I'll be ready to actually put it all together. Above is the front cover: an A4 size canvas which I've made to look like a shuttered window. I slit the centre of the canvas down the middle and stuck corrugated cardboard to it and coloured it with blue ink to make it look like a shabby pair of shutters. I stuck bits of torn masking tape round the edges and coloured them with Tim Holtz distress inks and cut and shaped a piece of mountboard to make what I think of as a pelmet to go on the top, though I'm sure that's not the correct architectural term.
I've always been intrigued by bricked up windows because they always seem to have a story behind them - why were they bricked up? So for my back cover a bricked up window seemed appropriate and here it is. I'm quite pleased with both covers, I just hope the pages I hope to stick concertina fashion in between also work out.

No comments: