Thursday, 10 July 2014

Seasalt Inspiration

Seasalt has recently opened a new shop in Dorchester  and was giving away these postcards to advertise their sale:
Looking at it I thought what a nice card it would make so as I happened to have a similar boat stamp by Anna Griffin I came up with this:
Really pleased with the way this worked and it certainly looks summery!

Monday, 19 May 2014


This is a piece of canvas work that I've finally finished after at least 2 years messing about with it.  I discarded it at least twice, took it off the frame I had it on and was about to unpick it at one point but eventually I rescued it and now am quite pleased with it.  I had been playing about with the idea of triangles so thought I would just stitch some triangle shapes onto canvas and see where it led.  I started with the purple threads and then I used the green and turquoise to make more elaborate patterns over the top and added some beads as well.  The dark purple border is a kumihimo braid that I made and couched down then I added beads and a triangular buttonhole stitch as the edging.  It's mounted on a piece of green/gold handmade paper (bought), then a canvas.  The green behind which doesn't match is the wall!
I suppose it just shows you should persevere with an idea.

Friday, 7 February 2014

Bird hanging

While I'm in the mood for blogging I'll post this little stitched piece I made recently. I'd been making paper beads and wanted to use them for something so die cut a little bird (an old Spellbinders die) from some fabric and stitched it all together using mainly hand stitching and a little wooden twig.  The finished size is about 10 by 8 inches.

Ombre effect inking

A project in Craft Stamper magazine prompted me to try getting this shaded effect using Distress Inks.  It's also similar to a cross stitch project I did years ago which had this light to dark squares as well.  I used 3 different sizes of Tonic nesting square dies and cut masks to ink through then 3 different colours of Distress inks in each colourway to build up the look.  The stamp is an old Elusive Images one which looks really good against the background.  I made a card in the blue colours first but then did this page in my sketchbook as a record of the inks that went well together.

I manage to do very little crafting these days aside from cards as needed hence the lack of blog posts but I'm hoping that one day I'll be more productive.