Sunday, 22 November 2009

Burning Issues

The other workshop I went on this week was at Stitchncraft at Shaftesbury and was all about using the soldering iron with fabric, run by Margaret Beal.  Margaret was also very generous with her techniques showing us lots of different things, many of which can be found in her book Fusing Fabric.  I had already bought the soldering iron that she sells (it has a particularly fine tip) but hadn't got round to having a go.  Well, it's much easier to do it the first time with the expert there guiding you through it.  It really is very easy though and was just like drawing round shapes with a pen except that you didn't then have to cut them out as the cutting was all done at the same time.  We each made a sampler using both the motifs we cut out of the organza and the negative strips left behind.  Then the second piece was one we did very quickly at the end just using cut up pieces of organza and fusing them to felt.  I came home with lots more cut out motifs and plan to have a go at making some cards with them.

P.S.  The scale of the photos is quite misleading as the second piece is only about a third the size of the sampler at the top!

Silk Paper

I've had a week off work and have had a bit of time to go on a couple of workshops and do some playing.  Last weekend I went to a silk paper workshop at Broadwindsor, organised by Tania from Rumpelstiltskin and run by Janet Gibbins.  It was good fun and we managed to produce 7 different pieces during the day, all made slightly differently so we were introduced to a good range of techniques.  I also had a play one day back at home and these photos are a mix of pieces I made on the day and bits I did here.  The ones with inclusions have hydrangea flowers embedded in them.  I particularly like the pieces manipulated into folds and holds and can see them with beads and stitches in them.

The leaves were made by pressing fibres directly on to the backs of leaves and felting them in place - we chose ones with nice clear veins and they stand out really well.

Saturday, 21 November 2009

Doodle Book

I purchased the book Stitching the Textured Surface by Lynda Monk and Carol McFee and the publisher d4daisy is offering online classes to accompany it.  The first class was to make a doodle book using painted baby wipes and here is mine.

The baby wipes have a lovely soft feel to them and a lovely sheen.  I used Brusho paints to dye them and the colours were very bright at first but dried to a soft pastel shade - I think it was that they made me go uncharacteristically girly and stitch bows to the front! I have a whole pile of painted wipes still to use as once I got going it was very more-ish.  Of course I should have worn gloves as it has taken a week for the blue to disappear from around my finger nails.

Christmas & Calendar

These cards were ones I did for a class at Kraft Crazy, Tidworth a couple of weeks ago now.  My starting point was inspired by vintage - I wanted to try out some of the techniques you see on vintage look cards.  Somehow though, they all ended up looking just like more of my cards!  However we did do paper pleating and paper pricking, used buttons, tags, an old fashioned image and paper snowflakes.  I got a bit carried away with the amount of things included on the cards and the paper pricking one bottom right took ages to make.  Everyone was glad to get to the button tree where the most time consuming bit was selecting the buttons!  The two cards on the left both used some of the My Mind's Eye Vintage Christmas papers and I thought it was good of me to actually give away some of that yummy paper in a class!

The image in the frame in the bottom right hand card doesn't show very well but it's a paper pricked sprig of holly.  It's actually a rubber stamp that I stamped on scrap paper and then pricked round the outline to produce the image on the paper underneath - another way of using stamps which adds to their versatility.

Next week is another class with Christmas as a theme - this time using new Christmas stamps from Elusive Images.

I've also made myself a desk calendar for next year using Cosmo Cricket papers and my Bind it All to put it together.